Tuesday 12 December 2006

Some moore photies.

As promised in an earlier post, I went looking for some photos in the From Hell reference box. What I was looking for was missing. I presumably took out all the atractive stuff when I did the article in Bacchus #60 back in 2001( or whenever). I looked for the folder in another box of photos, couldn't find it there either but found this instead.
This trio of pictures has never seen the light of day anywhere. I obviously picked the best of the bunch to use on the back of The Birth Caul (taken the day before in a different location) and threw the rest in a box and forgot all about them.

The girl in the pictures is Melinda Gebbie, Alan's pictorial collaborator on the colossal Lost Girls. If Alan and I are wrapped up in our own thoughts it's probably because we're discussing From Hell chapter #7 (approx?), this being my flying visit to the UK in 1994.

Looking at these I'm reminded of a 1930s piano-playing duo called Stanley Black and Norman White (after the black and white keys on the instrument.) The 'White' was a nom de plume, just for the effect. Or was it the other way around?

The location is the Grand Hotel in Northampton. We (me, Anne and the wee'uns) were staying there and Alan and Melinda came on down. The first thing Alan said upon entering was: "I haven't been in here since I was the janitor's assistant , cleaning the toilets." "It's almost nostalgic." Actually, I just made up the last three words, but it''s what I would have said, and without sarcasm, since I remember every stupid job I've ever had with an absurd fondness.
(photos by Anne Campbell)

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice photos. You can still recognize people from their general forms and gestures, eventhough their faces are not clearly visible.

(and a nzrcuiw to you, too, mr. verificator)

12 December 2006 at 03:52:00 GMT-5  
Blogger smoky man said...

Great pics, Eddie.
And never seen before.
Mr. Balck and Mr. White. Wowww!

Your blog has become a must-have read for me in just few days from its appearence on the Web ;)

a big embrace from Sardinia
smoky

12 December 2006 at 07:04:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Gabriel Villa said...

I canĀ“t imagine Moore as a Janitor

12 December 2006 at 08:00:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

I've had a great many odd and possibly stupid jobs myself. Even as some were occasionally soul-crushing, I do seem to remember most of them fondly.
I suppose it's better than dwelling on the things that annoy us, isn't it?

12 December 2006 at 11:12:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Aaron F. Gonzalez said...

I'm always surprised when I see Alan Moore in photos that he looks trim. That head of hair and beard make me always envision this big burly body.

12 December 2006 at 11:57:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, when I met Moore at the SD Comic Con ages ago, I remember him as being big and burly, and have always been surprised when I see photos.

Either he's wasted away of my memory sucks.

12 December 2006 at 14:02:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

It's a real shame that I can't get my hands on "Lost Girls" before 2008.
Still.
I might not have had the opportunity to get it at all, so...
Blah.

13 December 2006 at 03:36:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Johnny Walker said...

Wow, it's amazing to see Melinda with such different hair!!

spacedlaw: You know you can probably find people who will import a copy of Lost Girls for you. I got mine from Amazon.com, and if they won't do it, try eBay!

16 December 2006 at 20:57:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home