Wednesday 31 January 2007

I've been outed!

Here’s another from the Campbell sketch portfolio. Wee Eddie Campbell growing up on Straight Street, hoping one day to make his way in the world as an artist, as seen in After the Snooter.

First to claim it in comments can have the original in the mail.

I was reluctant to show it here as I have lately worried that Straight Street is not where I thought it was. It may have found itself in a different borough after one of those reshuffling of the boundaries that happen just before an election. What made me think this is that I noticed the street sign graphic in the opening titles of a daytime rerun of the tv show Queer Eye for the Straight Guy. So Obviously I wouldn’t want to be alluding to it if it has acquired a sexual connotation. Not that there's anything wrong with that. But you know what I mean; a writer wants to express his thoughts very precisely. You do know what I mean, don't you... it's not like I'm fretting about what you're thinking of my sexual orientation. You know that, don't you?

However, my fear has been allayed by George Martin, famous record producer, featured last week in the Weekend Australian (not online), ruminating about the sixties again:
“Young people had the space, the time , and the income to indulge themselves in the endless experiment of self. If you couldn’t make it in straight street (and who wanted to?), you could make it in counterculture."

Uh, hold on… the phone. It’s my pal Best.
"What’s up?"
"Al Columbia … (whom you may remember from such books as How to Be an Artist… and if I one day find myself waking up in Hell, it will be because of the wickedness I perpetrated in that one book. I know Steve Bissette was deeply hurt for one. I'm waiting for the rest of them to find out.)

(these excerpts are not consecutive)

(I drew Al as a smiley face because I've never met him and don't know what he looks like)


"He's on the Comics Journal forum?"
"He said what?"
“Eddie Campbell’s a fuckin’ homo."
"gasp!"
"It's near the bottom of the page? Hold on, let me find it..."
"Oh dear... but when the dust settles, I’m sure we’ll find out that he meant it in good fun."
"In the meantime, don’t let the wife hear about it. Okay?"
"Yup"
"And... thanks for roning."

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

MAy I, please ?
N.

31 January 2007 at 06:01:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

four minutes!

yes, just need your address... can i leave a message at your own blog?

31 January 2007 at 06:12:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Goddamn!

31 January 2007 at 06:37:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

"I've heard a few rumors that Eddie Campbell is, in fact, a fucking homo. Kind of a douchebag too."
-- Allen Rubenstein

This is brilliant! And funny! If you don't think so Dad, you're fuckin' bogus to boot.

31 January 2007 at 06:52:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

I still have your email somewhere, Eddie, so shall be sending you the details.
Saves you having to haunt my snowy pictures...
Nathalie

31 January 2007 at 06:56:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dang. Again. I'm going to have develop magical time travelling powers to go the front of the next art grab queue. Or check in twice a day. Or something. Hi Hayley! from Dianna in Tasmania x

31 January 2007 at 07:10:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe he meant you're a sexually active homo sapiens?

31 January 2007 at 07:32:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Wee Al Columbia thinks he knows everything just because you drew him with the face of God.

I read this post hours ago and I'm still giggling. Officially Best Post Ever.

31 January 2007 at 07:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Aaron F. Gonzalez said...

Man!

The ONE day I go to bed early I miss a drawing. Figures.

How about we change the rules a bit, eh? How about, "The first one to type the word I'm thinking of gets it".

Just pick a normal conversational word, and not, say, "unassuaged" and we should be ok.

31 January 2007 at 10:48:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

Campbell's causing trouble over at the comic's journal. That a boy.

31 January 2007 at 13:51:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

How about the first one to guess the word verification gets the next drawing (NOT!)

I'm still reeling over the responses on TCJ that some made not only about YOUR comments but the comments made about Satrapi's work. People that don't "get it" royally piss me off. I wish they'd just go away!

*Grumble*

The idiots probably don't like her work because
A. She's a woman
B. She's Iranian
C. She's successful (and damn well deserving)
and
D. They're idiots.

31 January 2007 at 13:55:00 GMT-5  
Blogger jasonturner said...

I can only ever take the journal board in very small doses. Those two pages should keep me for a month or two.

Today's entry here however made me laugh as I tried to get my brain going this morning. Thanks!

31 January 2007 at 19:13:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Andrew Hawthorn said...

Well then, I guess the next book obviously must be "Alec: Eddie Campbell is a Fucking Homo"

Think of the pre-orders!

1 February 2007 at 01:32:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

That's a damned nice dabbing you done there, Mr Campbell. All evocative, like.

As for Mr Columbia, I have it on good authority that he was being "punk rock", so that's alright. Or something.

1 February 2007 at 07:16:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home