Tuesday 2 January 2007

The Pick-up Truck of Hieronymus Bosch. part 2

The truck again. If memory serves, I photographed it quite thoroughly because around that time I was planning a big book that would have been titled The History of Humour. I would have tagged this truck onto the end of a chapter on Hieronymus Bosch, the man who dropped the detritus of gothic marginalia on the welcome mat of the High and noble Renaissance. This would have been the Truck of Fools careening to its doom, like a medieval metaphor for all of society.

The front is a mad sea creature with ill matched eyes:




Here is the Hell door, with memento mori:



and hermit crabs:



composite creatures:



including Arcimboldo guy:



Scorpion tail:



I wish I had a decent shot of the rear. Cal says there was a metal mouse peeping out of the exhaust.

The best parts tomorrow, final.

Waitaminit. phone call. It's Evans. That looks like Christopher Trotter's work... And I'm to make sure I don't claim this insight as my own... yeah.. Evans knows the score? bugger off, I'm not saying that... yeah, okay... okay, I'll bung an email to Mr Trotter and we'll have this confirmed by tomorrow.
and thanks for roning.

Confirmation already:
"Hi Eddie,
I am currently away on holidays. back in a weeks time. Can send info regarding "The Scavenger" then.
Cheers,
Christopher"

So the truck is titled 'The Scavenger' "...(Christopher Trotter, 1998), based on a war-surplus 1940 Ford Crane truck, New Farm Park, Brisbane, Queensland, Australia."
And here's another link found in my quick browse: Life Forms Sculpture
Don't things move fast in this age of blogging. Christopher Trotter's work can be seen in many places around Brisbane. There's a great bus stop with metal wallabies climbing all over the bench seats. I'll see if I can get a photo or two.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

Thanks for the Christopher trotter link, Eddie. I had a look around and I must say that these are wonderful works. I shall put up his page on my blog next to the Haijime Emoto's fantastic animals one.
Nathalie

2 January 2007 at 02:09:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bugger, there goes my Mad Max idea....speaking of movies, if you're at a loose end late tomorrow evening, Channel 2 is screening (for the zillionth time) "All Night Long"...nice little early 60s British film with lotsa jazz and Patrick McGoohan being the heavy.

cheers
B Smith

2 January 2007 at 02:38:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

Oh cool. Thanks for finding out and sharing the Trotter information.
Amazing artwork.
Still wish I had a car like that...though, might be hard to tote all my art supplies to classes in it, though.
Kelly

2 January 2007 at 02:50:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Juan Royo Abenia said...

marvelous!!!

2 January 2007 at 09:13:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nathalie
Haijime Emoto's fantastic animals-that's a great site. Some amazing things there.

B Smith--thanks for the heads up. I just realized I missed it. damn . next time..

kelly-- there are some other local artists I think you'd like... one day soon...

Juan--i owe you an email!

eddie

4 January 2007 at 03:35:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home