Sunday 8 April 2007

"I was waiting for a plane at LA airport at midnight..."

Oh

d e a r
When they opened the FROM HELL movie here in Brisbane the Australian publisher of the book spoke to the local Fox distributor who brought me in to spend a day doing promotional stuff. Newspaper interviews, magazine, telly. The whole day. I was given a bunch of tickets to the preview night and I got the gang along and we went out to dinner afterwards. Wee Cal was underage and he sat in the adjoining cinema watching Lord of the Rings. I joined him there after the first five minutes as I'd already seen the movie in LA. Anyway, the local newspaper, the Courier Mail was the sponsor and they put their guy up to introduce the thing. In retrospect I should have talked my way into that position, but I'd had enough of the blathering for that week.
The introduction unfolded in a rambling monotone, and just when the bit about the 'graphic novel' came up there was a guy across the aisle for me noisily trying to open a packet of Jaffas© .
"Orange / chOcOlate filled balls, with hard candy cOating - very pOpular at the mOvies in Australia"--
In fact he was making such a racket that I leaned Over and grabbed them
"Give them here." I grumbled.
I ripped the bag Open
and there were jaffas rOlling everwhere,
and a lOcal uprOar ensued.
I was embarrassed as blazes, but I slipped the guy
a nOte of my name and number and said I'd make it up to him and then I snuck Out and joined wee Cal. The name Obviously meant nOthing to him as he never called.
However, I was at LA airport twO years later waiting fOr a plane back to Australia and a fellOw came up tO me and said
"Are yOu Eddie Campbell?"
"Yes, I am."
"YOu know, I was sitting right behind yOu that night at the cinema in Brisbane when yOu
Opened that guy's Jaffas.
Funniest thing I've ever seen."

Have a great Easter Sunday.

***
Do They Still ROll the Jaffas Down the Aisle?

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

Man, and I thought popcorn was annoying...
You did everyone around him a favor ;)

8 April 2007 at 00:09:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

Happy Easter.

8 April 2007 at 01:19:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Never before has someone made such comedic use of HTML. A god among geeks.

I et all the chocolate yesterday. Arse!

8 April 2007 at 04:55:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

And I would kill for a Jaffa right now.

8 April 2007 at 05:01:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dunno about rolling them down the isles. We used to lick them, then stick them in girls' hair. Kids, eh?

Are you doing press for the new book? I write for Rave magazine and we'd love to do an interview.

8 April 2007 at 05:53:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Jody
yes, I'll be in that.
how shall I contact you?

Eddie

8 April 2007 at 07:25:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Gosh, these posts are pretty to look at. I hope the Jaffa folk paid you for the appealing colors and images you posted for their sake (not to mention the funny story).

I assume this Jaffa-guy was a weenie. He probably thought you passed him the name and phone number to set up a date.

8 April 2007 at 07:45:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

And I never had a soggy jaffa stuck in my hair, but my crowd used to lick them then paint our lips orange. This process was similarly applied to Smarties which was more fun because they came in blue, orange, green, purple...

The more enthusiastic of the Smartie lickers would invariably end up with brownish lips, having got a bit excited and overdone the colour variation.

I could say something like 'kids, eh?' but witnesses might tell you I was at it again only last week.

8 April 2007 at 12:34:00 GMT-5  
Blogger mrjslack said...

Jaffa-licker?
Smartie-licker??

I seem to have stumbled onto some adult content site by mistake.

My bad ( he said whilst slowly backing out of the room that in his mind was fast resembling that club in the movie Irreversible crossed with something from Willy Wonka )...

8 April 2007 at 19:47:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Well, you just admitted to having seen Irreversible. That makes you the biggest perve on this 'ere commenty box.

---
In a side note, my word verification says 'iamugod'.

9 April 2007 at 04:18:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

There's a coincidence! Mine says "nqcqdzjr". I think there's something in that for all of us.

9 April 2007 at 04:28:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Errr. Back in school days, we used to sit in the back row of the cinema and suck our jaffas, and then blow them in the direction of snogging couples. We scored points for landing them on a face...

God that's awful.

But it doesn't make me a pervert.

Happy Chocolate Festival all :)

9 April 2007 at 07:38:00 GMT-5  
Blogger drjon said...

(Your jaffary O's worked just fine in Firefox, btw.)

9 April 2007 at 22:12:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

how about the pink heart at the bottom of Anne's birthday?

Ed

9 April 2007 at 22:17:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send me an email at jody_macgregor@yahoo.com and let me know when you're available for interviews, we'll set something up.

(That sweet pink heart shows up fine in Firefox, by the way.)

9 April 2007 at 22:59:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home