Wednesday 11 April 2007

The Villains in my Home Town. part 2.

T his situation always terrified me. I'd get the phone call from reporter Sharon Marshall to see if I was available to sketch. It was informal like that. I'd have to iron a shirt and get on my bike, with my art stuff in my backpack. I had the whole system worked out , except I never seemed to be able to have a shirt ironed ahead of time. I'd get into the courthouse to find that I had to draw not one villain but a whole gang of them.



These jail inmates had made a desperate bid for freedom, armed with makeshif knives, axe handles and rocks, hijacking the prison tractor to ram through the high fences, and wounding seventeen prison warders in the melee, which was captured on security cameras.



The various rooms in the courtouse all have their different aspects, and I was never entirely comfortable with this one. I preferred the situations where I could get an angle on the figure that enabled me to do something big and bold with volume and depth, as in the first one I showed yesterday (he was trying to turn away from me, which played into my hands) or if it was one figure I could do a thorough character drawing (again, as with the two yesterday) but with this one I was stuck with a frieze-like group shot. The camera went in close, so that the image was much larger on screen than the original, and thus looking very loose, and panned across...





Once outside the fences the ringleader was run down by a prison truck and was allegedly suing for injuries.

****

Scary trousers- five minute video.
In the Q & A following a reading at Book Soup, West Hollywood, Neil Gaiman tells the origin of his occasioal nickname 'Scary Trousers', which involves Alan Moore, the sequence of From Hell for which I am currently showing the scripts on this blog, and my recounting of the anecdote as an episode in King Bacchus, which is currently out of print. (link via Neil himself)

******

Our pal John Coulthart has put that morbidly compelling Sopranos poster by Photogrpaher Annie Liebowitz beside the Delacroix painting upon which it was modelled: those other Italians visiting Hell, Dante and Virgil.

Update! My pal Duds in comments draws our attention to this: Joe Pantoliano's panties get in a wad. Ralphie doesn't like the way he's represented in the new issue of Vanity fair (i.e. With his head off). Annie Liebowitz again. I forgot to pick up my copy on the way home from lunch with my pal White.

Labels:

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, will you be at supanova this year? Because that would be a deciding factor in whether I fly up from Melbourne for it.
thanks
adam

11 April 2007 at 02:11:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Adam, no i won't be there.
Supanova doesn't work for me.
(or supanover as we call it here, after Danny got upset because we kept putting an 'r' in supa.
Eddie

11 April 2007 at 02:15:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

On sopranos, the new cover is out and Joey Pants isn't happy they "ghosted" him.

http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/03/28/joe-pantolianos-panties-get-in-a-wad/

Plagiarism of image maybe?

11 April 2007 at 04:20:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

I love that he actually signs off as 'Joey Pants' in the letter. Brilliant.

Ah, I miss Ralphie. Best Sopranos character ever. I was upset for weeks after they offed him.

In fact, I still am. I'm pouting right now.

11 April 2007 at 05:25:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

And harking back to your post on Feiffer, THEY'VE DRAFTED MUNRO!

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idUKL1045358520070410?feedType=RSS

11 April 2007 at 05:33:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh, I missed that story about Joe Pantoliano. As for Ralphie (who I agree was great) being "one of the most complex and despicable characters in the history of television", all I can say is Joe should watch a few episodes of that other wonderful HBO series, Deadwood. Lucky he wasn't in that, they'd have fed him to the pigs.

11 April 2007 at 06:01:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

"currently out of print"...

No wonder I'm having trouble finding some Bacchus books.

How many of your books are OP? Any plans to have the Bacchus stuff done up as a phonebook type graphic novel?

re: villains. It's interesting to see that you guys have as interesting a crop of total losers as we do here in the States.

One of the kids who used to work for me when I owned comic book shops grew up and became an attorney. He specializes in defending local losers. I bumped into him the other day and I asked him about his clients and his reaction was:

"Bob. These guys fucked up being white. How do you fuck up being white?"

I had to laugh. How, indeed?

11 April 2007 at 06:12:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Once outside the fences the ringleader was run down by a prison truck and was allegedly suing for injuries. "



Sounds like the fellow that murdered his parents and asked for leniency on account of his being an orphan.

11 April 2007 at 07:06:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And how does it feel to be described as the best comic artist of Scottish descent currently living in Brisbane?

11 April 2007 at 09:36:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Joey Pants actually refers to himself in third person a lot as well, always calling himself Joey Pants when he is interviewed. He actually preformed on stage where the marque read “Joey Pants in"

The best Sopranos character was Janice's Narcoleptic, gospel singing boyfriend. Who once asked Tony “Have you heard the good news? He's coming back you know."

11 April 2007 at 18:36:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

James
A few of the Bacchus volumes are out. I think 2, 4, 9.

1 and 3 were reprinted so they're fine. 5 may be low.

6, 7/8 and 10 are well stocked.

I abandoned the original plan to keep rerinting them At the momen, vague plan to put out a big volume, but my Alec material would have to come first i think. we'll see.

Anon
yes, the Neil thing is good. It sounds quite improvised too. I'm getting too old to turn down any compliments. I'll take what I can get.

Eddie

11 April 2007 at 19:38:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great Blog! Pardon if I landed on the wrong blog.
As a newbie I just can’t help sharing the following
url with you. It made al the difference to my financial
Situation. For only $7.00 you get your own
ATM Machine. Just follow the link below!

17 April 2007 at 10:03:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great Blog! But if you want to really
Work at home with a system that is as good and
as simple as owning your own ATM Cash Machine!
ATM CASH

17 April 2007 at 14:00:00 GMT-5  

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home