Sunday 20 May 2007

An owl.

Looking at the Bacchus Color Special cover a couple of days back, I was trying to remember how I'd been introduced to Teddy Kristiansen. And it's just come back to me. He painted this gorgeous Christmas card for me at the end of 1992 and sent it via Diana Schutz, with whom he was doing some work at the time, perhaps on Grendel. Teddy has his own blog here, but I think i visit it more than he does.
*******
In other News:
Scotty safe! No need to Worry!
James 'Scotty' Doohan's Ashes Found in New Mexico Mountains- Friday, May 18, 2007
The payload container carrying experiments and the cremated ashes of some 200 dearly departed people — a cargo that includes remains of the beloved "Scotty" of "Star Trek" fame — has been recovered in the New Mexico mountains...
(thanks to Hemlockman)
********
In comments, Bat Masterson linked us to this.Hijacked Disney Characters Explain Copyright--FRIDAY, MAY 18, 2007
"Disney lawyers' heads must be spinning over this one. A movie posted on Stanford University's site called "A Fair(y) Use Tale" mashes up all your Disney favorites to humorously and effectively explain copyright law. The ten minute movie, directed by Eric Faden, came out of Stanford University's Fair Use Project Documentary Film Program. Stanford's Fair Use Project--to which Stanford Law professor, Copyright guru, Creative Commons advocate and Wired writer Lawrence Lessig contributes--was founded last year to "support to a range of projects designed to clarify, and extend, the boundaries of fair use in order to enhance creative freedom." And, well, the movie is damn sure creative, and certainly seems to take the boundaries of fair use about as far as they can go."
It’s very funny. Do watch it.
********
And drjon noted this for anyone following our occasional references to The Codex Seraphinianus: This fellow cracked the page numbering system a couple of years ago.
********
Blogger still won't let me have a preview so I'm just guessing what this post will look like and can't test whether the links work in advance of posting. At least now it's letting me save stuff.
*********
The wife of my bosom is away for a couple of days and when I went to go to bed last night I found there were no sheets on it. I remembered they'd just been washed and went out to fetch them off the line in the dark. Sitting in the middle of the 'lawn' (we're in a drought so there's no grass on it) was Monty the dog, out of his bed, and he was looking at something sitting on top of the hoist at my eye level. It was a huge big Tawny Frogmouth owl. I stood in a state of wonder and looked into its eyes for about five minutes. I've never been this close to an owl before. It sat still and looked back at me. I left it undisturbed and went in and put something else on the bed

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger drjon said...

I've seen a few Frogmouths over the years.

But shortly before I moved to Melbourne (literally--I think it was the night before), I was living at Coopers Plains, and walked out onto the back patio.

There, sitting on the Hills Hoist was a Barn Owl.

It stared at me--directly at me--for over five minutes, and then took off into the night.

It's the only time in my life I've seen an Owl that wasn't a Frogmouth.

20 May 2007 at 00:23:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Those owls aren't deadly poisonous, are they? (Knowing Australia's rep, they probably can kill you by staring at you.)

Oh, man. You still have the dog, eh? I assume it's the same one. (Only the truly damned ever own more than one.)

(I see my Word Verification ends in:
"ozz". Hehheh.)

20 May 2007 at 05:33:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

I find myself checking out what you´ve written on your blog, and SEE a post with the old Christmas card..joy joy joy...how funny...and yes indeed ..poor poor Simpson.....thanks for putting it up there...and great to read all your cover stories...love it...as I have always done...

Cheers

Teddy

23 May 2007 at 05:09:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home