Tuesday 24 July 2007

I don't believe it, I've gone and done it again

I arrived at the check-in without my passport. Again. the problem this time is that I have two passports. I recently renewed it , but my resident's permit is still in the old one. I need to carry two, one to get out of Australia and another to get back in. And I only brought one. So the once again it cost me seventy bucks to tear home at high speed in a taxi and get it. The way I look at it is that It's that time of year when I have to pay the stupidity tax. The hard part was explaining to Monty that this wasn't actually me arriving home from my travels. Not to forget Wee Cal left sitting at the airport with a growing sense of dismay, and a little of that mortal terror I feel every time I travel.
It gives me the excuse to show the incident the way it played out the first time, as recorded in The Fate of the Artist.

Except that it doesn't.

Sitting here in the hotel lobby I have just accidentally erased two of the three images I placed in 'drafts folder' earlier (curse that damn 'autosave' that blogger introduced recently). So I'll show the one that's left. The idea was to show how the original black and white presentation looked before I colorized it at the invitation of the publisher, First Second. I sent him scans made through the tracing paper overlay. And the color was added delicately in gouache.

I'll show the rest at a later date.
Chris Staros just appeared in the lobby. I'm off for a beer.

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Kelly Kilmer said...

Glad to hear you & wee Cal are safe & sound in crazy CA.
Sorry to hear about the stupidity tax again.

You're not the only one with autosave blogger issues-grr!

24 July 2007 at 22:52:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

And to think that was all BEFORE jet lag get you...
Have fun !

25 July 2007 at 00:36:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You amateur...

25 July 2007 at 01:38:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Plonker. Don't leave my laptop behind!

25 July 2007 at 01:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Shawn said...

Next time, impose on a friend to drive you to the airport (and back). I do it all the time. It works. I'd repay the favour, except I own a Vespa...not a very luggage or freeway friendly form of transport.

Somewhat related to your earlier post about: Is blog literature. I think there's a chance for it to be. Salam Pax is probably an early blogger who got his work published in book form.

Another point to note is the increasing importance for editors in this world of 'everyone's a writer'. This is perhaps more important towards the 'blogs as literature' debate. Plus being a book editor by profession I'm biased. Some enlightenment on the issue here: http://www.salon.com/opinion/kamiya/2007/07/24/editing/

25 July 2007 at 02:01:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Christopher Moonlight said...

I'll be down in SD tomorrow afternoon. I've not started packing and as of now (12:30am) I'm still working on a big cartooning job I got, that will be going on night shirts. That and baby won't go to sleep. When will I ever be off to me kip?

25 July 2007 at 02:32:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my, now *I* feel ill - missing a domestic flight is one thing... but a flight overseas... ouch. Hope you're recovered and having a great time.

Very interested to hear how you did the colouring using overlays - do you mean that you painted onto tracing paper and then scanned that separately from the B&W? Or you rescanned with the painted tracing paper placed over the B&W?

Ooh, and when you get a minute on your travels, can you e me your mailing address? I have a book for you.

Enjoy that California sun

Nicki

25 July 2007 at 02:33:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You utter pillock. I hope the michaels were duly taken by that wee brother of mine.

25 July 2007 at 03:21:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!

-- Victor Meldrew

25 July 2007 at 03:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Kelly,
yes that damn autosave. You accidentally erase something, it saves the erasure... isn't that kind of working against the purpose of 'saving'.

Nicki,
I just painted colour gouache over the original graey gouache. A bit worrying when I started but it all worked out well.

the rest of you
thanks for the sympathy you bastards.

25 July 2007 at 14:05:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home