Thursday 13 September 2007

The 'graphic novelists' at the writers festival launch party. Nobody here knows who we are. And I'm standing talking to young Leigh Rigozzi, planning our assault upon the literary world. A pretty young lady arrives, walks across the room through the throng straight to Leigh and asks if he would sign her autograph book. "How come Leigh is recognised when he's only been in town a few hours, while I who have been here twenty years am invisivble?" I ask, rudely self-important. And the pretty young lady says "I'm the one who picked him up from the airport."
********

update: Guy Delisle can't make it alas. More room for Campbell's head, as one of my pals said.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger James Robert Smith said...

Also, you're an oldie.

13 September 2007 at 17:50:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh - good story. We're coming to see you tonight so at least two people will know who you are...;)
Tonia

13 September 2007 at 20:58:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eddie!

I am that "pretty young lady".. and I have as I said I would come to read your blog.
I'm sorry I hurt your author ego.. but I know who you are now ;) and I'm going to get your graphic novel from work and read it.
My friend and I always end up with funny stories from the festival, and I have to say that the conversation you have cited is deifinately one of those moments. It was for me one of the 2 highlights of the opening party (I was quite late having been back out to the airport) and quite possibly the entire festival this year.

Cheers
Kelli
kelli@safreligious.com

17 September 2007 at 20:13:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Great to hear from you, kelli!
Eddie

18 September 2007 at 01:15:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home