Tuesday 30 October 2007

VERY BLACK

I took this photo of the ads for Carlton Black beer in 2002 in Melbourne. Beer being somewhat regional I don't think the ads would have been seen much further afield. I can no longer remember if that broad brush effect is part of the design or the fault of the application of the gum holding the posters on the wall. Interesting to consider whom they're aimed at. References to Black Adder (I have a cunning plan) and Darth Vader (Luke I am your Father)? Not the usual target drinkard of Australian advertising. This was my favorite tap brew in Brisbane for a while, a dark lager, a style of beer which I always differentiate from dark ale by its slightly burnt flavour. Anyway, they removed it. When the barman told me how long it took to get through a barrel I figured it couldn't have had many partakers beyond myself. I hope that's just Brisbane. From a cartoon-technical point of view, note also the 'word ballon of attribution' which I discussed ealier.

Over there in Perth I doubt they're giving their booze as much thought as I do, and there were probably no Star Wars nerds present either, but that's just guessing:
PERTH, Australia (AFP) - An Australian barmaid who entertained patrons by crushing beer cans between her bare breasts and hanging spoons off her nipples has been fined, police said Wednesday. Luana De Faveri, 31, was fined 1,000 dollars (900 US dollars) in the Mandurah Magistrates Court in Western Australia after pleading guilty to two breaches of the Liquor Control Act...
The fines "send a clear message to all licensees in Peel that we will not tolerate this type of behaviour in our licensed premises," said Superintendent David Parkinson of the Peel Police District.

(link via wee hayley campbell)

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aw fuck, all my friends in Brazil sent me this link last week. I have nothing to do with it. The maid's picture appeared last Sat in the West edition.

30 October 2007 at 03:40:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

None more black.

30 October 2007 at 04:33:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carlton do some of the best beer advertising in the world.

One outstanding example:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH3GH7Pn_eA

I love the complete subversion of the much over-used O Fortuna chorus.

Mick

30 October 2007 at 07:25:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Curses, Hayley beat me to the Spinal Tap quote!

30 October 2007 at 08:33:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Arf! In your face Coulthart!

30 October 2007 at 12:34:00 GMT-5  
Blogger James Robert Smith said...

I would think that any reference to Darth Vader would be pretty much universal at this point and that you'd have to have never seen many films to not get the reference. Much as I hate Star Wars, even I have to admit that.

I've seen The Black Adder stuff (not all of them), but I didn't get the "cunning plan" remark.

I went to school with two brothers who left our small town and went off to college. One ended up settling permanently in Helsinki where he translates stuff from English to Finnish for Nokia. The other brother ended up in Perth. How and why? I have no idea.

30 October 2007 at 16:34:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Jack Ruttan said...

I think that Peel Superintendent sounds more like Darth Vader.

30 October 2007 at 19:17:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eddie,

You've been referenced!! And no mention of a certain description of certain form...

http://www.textjournal.com.au/oct07/smith.htm

thanks for roning!

30 October 2007 at 22:27:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home