Friday 25 April 2008

this is excellent news. Knockabout have rereleased Hunt Emerson's masterpiece, his adaptation of Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner, first published in 1989. More at Hunt's own site. He also drew another book around then which was a great favourite of mine, Casanova's Last Stand. I haven't seen the Rime yet and I'm stealing all this stuff from Lew Stringer's blog. Recently Emerson appeared on YouTube with the extended Emerson tribe, (that's Hunt in the green T-shirt in the video) performing their version of 1971 pop single Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep. The video became a hit on the internet and was covered on regional tv news.

Here is my sketch of Hunt as well as the late Don Lawrence sketching outside a cafe for fans in Switzerland in 1986 that I drew into my book "How to be an Artist.' It was based on a photo and I recall taking the photo, but the quality of the print in my file looks too good to have come from the campbellian camera, a big ugly waterproof yellow thing brought from Australia by the wife of my bososm. I deduce that I guessed it would be an important moment and borrowed another camera, probably from the lovely wife of Don's bosom.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Adams said...

Was hunt influenced by the likes of Mervyn Peake? Just curious as Peake also illustrated the Rime of the ancient mariner.

25 April 2008 at 07:26:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home