Wednesday 16 July 2008

MY TOUR
scroll down or see sidebar

even when I was looking at the photographic stuff Youka Nitta obviously sourced (It no longer appears to be accessible, but try for yourself) when drawing her books, I wasn't moved to any feeling that she was stealing anything. However, she has been shamed into putting her drawing pens away and throwing herself at the mercy of the court.

(translated by 'Gia')"Lately, I’ve been been facing the recent copyright issues, and I truly regret the situation.
I recognize that I have used skillful photos in my illustrations, thoughtlessly infringing their copyrights. But this time everyone pointed it out, and it’s making me reflect on what it means to be a mangaka. To the copyright owners of the photographs and all readers of Youka Nitta’s works, I apologize whole-heartedly.
My thoughtlessness wasn’t detected while I was growing, but now I’m seriously aware of the indiscretions I’ve committed. I am sorry to the utmost. The criticisms I’m receiving are the consequences of my own actions, and I am prepared to receive them. I’m looking at all e-mails and letters from my readers, and the people who are helping me get through my shameful condition have left me in tears.
From here on, I am I am ceasing my writing activity and continuing to make sincere amends to the copyright holders, looking hard at my foolishness and trying to mend my mistakes. It was truly inexcusable."
The casual browser may be astonished to know that we are only talking about comic books, or 'manga' to be precise, since 'comic book' should be regarded as an American idiom.
(as opposed to the design for the new BMW or a two billion dollar submarine, before one of my regular arguers accuses me of being snobby)

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your readers might be interested, that a compilation of the side-by-side comparisions can be found in the current LITG here

Personally I feel that there is too much fuss made about this. Youka Nitta changed enough of the poses or angles in many of those shots for me to feel that these aren't much worse than photo-referencing. That practice isn't as uncommon as to call for such an extreme reaction on the artists part for being caught.

16 July 2008 at 12:57:00 GMT-5  
Blogger spacedlaw said...

Seems like an overkill to me.
Imagine someone might come after you Eddie for drawing pictures of landmarks in From Hell (or in The Black Diamond Agency)?

16 July 2008 at 13:53:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home