Friday 15 August 2008

chicago. It was fun to be in the city after spending a year drawing it for last year's Black Diamond Detective Agency. And like From Hell before it, I was better for working far away, less I should have been befuddled by the modernity of it.
Two 'readings' were organized for me in the windy city. But how do you read a cartoon strip aloud to an audience? The old time cartoonists used to perform what they termed a 'chalk talk' at a blackboard, but that has never appealed to me. I feel that a reading should be more like a jazz performance, an improvisation upon the text in which the author effects some new variations, and perhaps the events of the story even play out a little differently. With this in mind I had worked out a rough plan for a performance piece to be made with the book in hand. I put it over twice here, in Quimby's bookshop and in the upstairs bar of the Hopleaf under the auspices of Jessa Crispin and Bookslut and in tandem with local author David J Schwartz, who read excellent passages from his novel, Superheroes. My Bookslut moment was filmed, along with an interview. If It surfaces I'll let you know.
************
Eric Halverson says he bothered me in Chicago to write an intro for him or something. I can't remember anything about it though I'm sure I deftly excused myself as is my wont. However, his stuff does make me laugh. Check it out.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger spacedlaw said...

Wasn't here that I read that someone had requested Shaun Tan to do a reading about The Arrival? (or have I dreamt it?)

15 August 2008 at 01:07:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Hayley Campbell said...

Erik Halverson's great! And I like his Eddie Campbell quote in the sidebar.

As do you, I presume.

15 August 2008 at 04:14:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Campbell:

Completely O/T, here... Do you know if First Second is doing a limited hardcover of The Amazing Remarkable Monsieur Leotard, same as was done w/ FotA and BDDD?

I ask because the retailer from whom I bought TARML said there weren't any HCs available-- and, well, the binding on my paperback copy is a bit crap. As in the cover separated from the body of the book the second time I opened it. I sincerely doubt this is First Second's fault; it was probably a combination of a one-in-a-million printer's gaffe and local humidity that caused it.

I'm not looking to place blame or asking for a handout. The book continues to be beautiful, and is without a doubt the best work you've done to date both in terms of sheer artistry & technique. I'd just like a copy I can keep on the shelf. Any advice you can provide would be most appreciated.

Thanks,
-D

15 August 2008 at 12:07:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

D,
I thought there was going to be one, but the indicia page implies otherwise (It usually shows as well as the regular ISBN an ISBN for 'collector's edition')
I've sent an email enquiry. I'll let you know when I knw myself.
Eddie

15 August 2008 at 16:51:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re: performing comics in public, maybe it would work to project the pages on a big screen while you read the words.

15 August 2008 at 19:33:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Erik Halverson said...

I didn't ask for you to write me an intro, Eddie, I merely apologized for not being able to make much of introduction for myself after shaking hands and then walking away. Anyway, thanks for the brief spotlight. My girlfriend's proud of me now.

-Erik

16 August 2008 at 20:17:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

oops, sorry.
I'm shuffling things so rapidly here I misread it.
(or confused you with somebody else...)
best to you.
Eddie

16 August 2008 at 21:17:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

Re, hardcover Leotard.
I just got confirmation that this time there WON't be one.
ddie

18 August 2008 at 13:25:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home