Thursday 20 November 2008

big storm here last night and the old bridge took a pasting. Usually this creek isn't deep enough to catch a fish in.


The Prime Minister calls it a war zone. 4,000 homes damaged, 300 of them seriously, at least 30 beyond repair. When did we start calling them 'homes,' which belongs to the hyperbole of predatory real estate salespeople and sentimental Americans? A home is where they put you when you lose your marbles, such as 'home for the mentally disabled', as in the old George Formby song from the world war 2 years, 'you'd be far better off in a home'
Our Annie's joined up a week come Saturday
Annie's joined up, the Army shouts hooray
She's a F.A.N.Y. cos she's fanny that way
So we chase her all round the barrack square.

You'd be far better off in a home
You'd be far better off in a home
You'd be far better off, far better off
Far better off in a home

Wandering around the house at two in the morning tieing things down, I bump into the wife of my bosom on the verandah, presumably doing the same thing. We laugh and I give her a kiss, with the final conflict between good and evil going on outside.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Adams said...

Haven't seen storms like this in Brisbane and Ipswich for years. We used to miss out on school at least one day a year due to flooding, but that all dried up ten years ago (thankfully I had finished school by then). And it used to happen around spring time. It's come back a whopper this time.

Hope you didn't suffer any damage.

word verifaction is moshis, as in baby Moshis in the rushes, which seems vaguely appropiate with the picture of the bridge

20 November 2008 at 18:51:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Yoga Gal said...

A home is where the heart is!
I recall after picking up after a major earthquake and all the stuff, books, broken glass, the kitchen was a nightmare of broken spice bottles, dishes, glassware and thinking that it was all just stuff, the things I loved best at the time my parents, my hamster and bird were oaky and unharmed , I was just 10 years old at the time. And that what was really important to me wasn't the stuff, you can always replace stuff but not your family and pets. So give you wife and son and dog a hug , keep them close and safe and count your blessings. Hope those who lose their homes will soon find comfort. Peace and love - geri Odd reading this, a lot of people lost their homes in last weeks wild fires.

20 November 2008 at 19:44:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Daniel Best said...

Yep, consider me worried. My mother and brother live at Caboolture, one of the hardest hit areas. She says the storm was awesome to watch from the verandah, but after the water began to flood towards the house they decided that efforts were best focused elsewhere.

Good luck and say hello to the other Daniel Best for us.

21 November 2008 at 16:20:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope all's well up there with the Campbells. Saw some footage of The Gap, where Mr Duds is. Stay safe.
[Minty]
X

22 November 2008 at 07:39:00 GMT-5  
Blogger ken said...

Hi Eddie it's Ken. I dont know if you remember me or not but I used live across the road from you in Fernberg road at Paddington about 12 years ago. We used to sit and chat and discuss art and comic books as i was a budding artist and you shared some pearls of wisdom with me over a guiness or two. I'm using this comments forum as a way of contacting you as i dont know any other way of contacting you and saying G'day and would you like to catch up for a drink sometime. I would have done it sooner but I'm a Dad these days and my wife has finally convinced me to enter the 21 century and learn how to use a computer. cheers,Ken.

22 January 2009 at 07:43:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home