Thursday 12 March 2009

browsing the usual blather this morning, I arrive via Heidi MacDonald at Colleen Doran's post: Conservative Blogger has Meltdown Over Watchmen, a response to "Conservative Info-Babe Commentator" Debbie Schlussel's review of Watchmen, a movie I still haven't seen as the baloney surrounding it is entertainment enough for me in one week. A line of Schlussel's sticks out for me because it sent me scurrying among her ravings to see if I could find any incidence of irony that might support this as being an intelligent comment:

"A few lines of dialogue by the character "Rorschach" deriding "liberals and intellectuals" doesn't excuse the nearly three hours of poison here. In fact, the movie kind of has a peacenik-themed ending and "message" regarding nuclear weapons. If this move is "conservative," who the heck needs liberal?

"This is Sparta!"

(Alan Moore:"But it seems to be that things that were meant satirically or critically in Watchmen now seem to be simply accepted as kind of what they appear to be on the surface.")
**********

in other news, a man got his bollock bitten off by a horse.
"Luckily the horse did not chew up or swallow his testicle, but spit it onto the pavement," the bystander was quoted as saying.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Adams said...

That horse obviously has a taste for crab apples.

Debbie Schlussel is a crab apple.

We should introduce them

12 March 2009 at 18:13:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eddie.

Alan back in 1988: "I’d be a pretty poor writer if all the characters that I did reflected my own politics."

Or as GC Lichtenberg once said (allegedly; I've seen this attributed to others): "A book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no philosopher looks out."

12 March 2009 at 18:36:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

arf!

that's brilliant, John.

ta

12 March 2009 at 18:49:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

Reading Watchmen enlarged me. Reading Debbie Schlussel's venom diminished me. Her thesis appears to be that things that might damage children should not exist in case parents behave irresponsibly. And anyone who disagrees is mentally deficient. You are right, Eddie: there is no space for irony in there.

13 March 2009 at 06:34:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home