Friday 16 October 2009

Chris Staros, master of ceremonies at Top Shelf Productions, tells me he's seen early bound test copies of both the hard and soft covers of the new book, that they look great and everything is on course, if somewhat late. I've been doing a bunch of interviews recently and they're all being sat on until the books come out. I'm sure I've repeated myself all over the place. I remember watching an old Hollywood songwriter, when his memoir was published, doing the rounds of the UK talk shows, giving the same spiel every time, not realising that the UK is so small that it would be the same audience watching every show. The internet's like that, when you break it down into communities. But anyway, somebody asked me what's my favourite out of all my stories, and I probably said a parent can never pick favourites from among his children, or some blather like that. But what I really meant to say was that it is this byzantine half hour anecdote I told last year in Chicago, and which I'm reposting here for anyone who missed it when it first appeared at Bookslut last October. I was supposed to be doing a 'reading,' but this story crisscrosses a handful of unrelated books and doesn't exist in a tangible form except here.

The video: In which I mimic a horse, try to figure out what's inside a dog's head, and perform other unseemly acts...



Eddie Campbell Reading -Chicago, July 2008 from Host: Jessa Crispin, Bookslut. Filmed by Brown Finch Films, who marked a spot on the floor where I was supposed to stand.
(and whose documentary Proceed and be bold I reviewed in June)

4 Comments:

Blogger Nino said...

Oh, no not again!
The byzantine horse with a dog's head!
That reminds me of my last girlfriend's boyfriend (well, accordind to her "he is so cute and you are so... indescriptible")
So, when i was told by Amazon I will get my copy of "Alec: The Years..." by october 19th I was told a lie?
There are no gentlemen left in this world, but Eddie Campbell!
Next time i want to buy one of your books I´ll go down under aand steal your original art.
Voy beber un culín

16 October 2009 at 10:42:00 GMT-5  
Blogger rscarbonneau said...

I am so glad I was in that audience! That's me with the fat head in front of the camera, sipping on something Belgian and room temperature, and being inspired!
I've been hoping to see this video for a year now, and I'm grateful that I can now share the experience with my friends.

16 October 2009 at 21:34:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Eddie Campbell said...

I only heard they were intending to film my 'reading' that morning when I checked my emails at an internet cafe. And having done it, I never for a second thought they'd put the whole 34 minutes online. I'm so pleased with the way it worked out. Glad you were there.

16 October 2009 at 22:35:00 GMT-5  
Anonymous Norman Fernandez said...

Hi Eddie,
I'm Norman form Spain.
As usual, I forget your e-mail.
Please, send me a mail.
pepillogrillo@yahoo.com

17 October 2009 at 07:56:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home