Sunday 15 November 2009

My fellow '80s small press cartoonist Ed Pinsent has a website. Good to see some new pieces from him, such as this cover of an imaginary comic:


He also has a gallery of approximately 180 old small press comics covers from all through the decade which, although far from complete, will give you a fairly clear idea of what Fast Fiction was all about. His site should be a useful research tool.


There is also a catalogue of the thirty issues of fast Fiction magazine (with only the rare first issue missing- a lot of these things had print runs of less than a hundred) (1982-1991) including publishing notes.




Middle cover is by Glenn Dakin, who has also recently started a blog. I meant to mention this before he wrote about ME, to head off the suspicion that we're just a cosy mutual admiration society.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Matthew Adams said...

The Ed Pinsent (another Ed, ie Edward Lear, Edward Gorey, Eddie Campbell and so on) site is really good, you can even download some of his comics.

16 November 2009 at 00:19:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Ed Pinsent said...

Eddie, thanks for the kind words. I hope to keep adding to the small press archive on my site and include some A4 comics, and mini-comics. I also had some contributions of scans from Russell Willis, who edited Infinity in the 1980s, and is now a successful businessman in Japan.

@ Matthew Adams: it's a great honour for me to be mentioned in the same breath as Lear and Gorey; the former is one of my all-time favourite creators, and I had the privilege of interviewing the latter near the end of his life.

18 November 2009 at 17:13:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Matthew Adams said...

I had a book of interviews with Gorey, but at the moment I can't find it, and can't remember the title. I feel a bit silly asking if your interview was included in that book.

I think Edward Gorey mentioned the three e's that influenced him in one interiew, being Edward Lear, Edward Ardizzone and Ernest H. Shepherd. My lack of succesful artistic output I blame on my parents for giving me a name starting with M (it is easier to do that than to admit my own laziness).

25 November 2009 at 18:57:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Ed Pinsent said...

Matthew:

The book I contributed to is called Ascending Peculiarity, still available from Amazon.

27 November 2009 at 18:05:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Matthew Adams said...

Yep, thats it. I really enjoyed that book, and will have to dig it out again.

27 November 2009 at 22:20:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home