Tuesday 13 September 2011

Steve in comments a few days back:
"...that's one of my favourite panels in Alec. I groped towards why it was, back when I thought I could write stuff like this out loud ..."
Steve wrote a whole essay on that panel at the link. The same panel was used on the cover of a Spanish book published by the Semana Negra festival in 2008. They were doing special events on the subject of autobiographical comics. I wasn't able to be there because I was doing my Monsieur Leotard tour. The wife, who was never amused about me sitting up drawing all night, said at least they got the title right.



Here's a video from the event. I think the speakers are Phoebe Gloeckner, Spain Rodriguez, Angel de la Calle, Fabrice Neaud, and if i've got that wrong, somebody correct me. There are three different languages; Spanish shows are always a linguistic soup. (arf! I've just remembered the time I called down for soap in a Spanish hotel and they brought up soup- it's in the big Alec book)

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I always had the impression that in Autobiography the author has more control (as he's apparently selling the truth so he can be more untrue... ) and in the hiding shades of "fiction" big & scarier truths can be revealed.

13 September 2011 at 21:30:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Pepo PĂ©rez said...

" The wife, who was never amused about me sitting up drawing all night, said at least they got the title right".

Ha, ha, I'm still laughing. My respects to the saintly wife.

(the Steve essay on your panel is great)

14 September 2011 at 01:55:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Steve said...

Awe, I'm blushing. Thanks Pepo. Regarding autobiographical comics, I tend to think they lean nearer to self-portraiture than they do literary auto-biography. What I'm groping at, I guess, is that almost all auto-biography is by someone you've already heard of, but self-portraiture can be by anyone, and is born of artistic expression as much as any need to set the record straight or make a quick buck. Or something thereabouts.

14 September 2011 at 10:03:00 GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

What the heck I wrote? Yukk. "Selling??" I meant "telling!".

14 September 2011 at 19:13:00 GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home